Saturday, June 9, 2018

Einkorn Sourdough Bread (rough draft)

I'm just giving this written recipe a shot. Watching someone guide you through the process is very beneficial. I learned from the wonderful Min Kim. Her True Sourdough Bread e-book is worth purchasing. Here is a YouTube video that may be helpful. The process seems complicated. But, once you've gone through it a few time, it's simple! Here are the written instructions. (And, I'm trying to learn how to post photos so you can see the tools and flours needed. I'm techy-challenged😉)


Waking up starter (if my starter has been in the refrigerator):
Using a 1/2 gallon glass canister or a quart Mason jar, add
65 grams starter
65 grams organic all purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill or Whole Foods brand)
65 grams filtered water
Mix well with spoon
Cover with dish towel and set on counter
Feed once or twice a day
(3 feedings are recommended before making bread if starter was in the fridge)

Feeding my starter:
To starter add
50 grams all purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill or Whole Foods brand)
50 grams water
Mix well with spoon
(I feed my starter every evening. In warmer months it's recommended to feed twice a day. If I have more than 2 cups starter, I start dumping some out, or it can be used in recipes that call for starter)

Making my levain:
In pint Mason jar add
30 g starter
75 g Einkorn all purpose flour
75 g water
Mix well with spoon
Cover with dish towel and let sit on counter until it doubles or 2 1/2 times in size, usually 8 to 10 hours
(I put a rubber band around where the starter is to see how much it rises. I make my levain in the mornings, so I can build my dough in the afternoon/evening)

Building my dough:
In large glass bowl add
770 g water (in cooler weather I add a bit of water that's been boiling)
165 g of levain (the levain should float)
Mix with dough whisk
Add
300 g Einkorn all purpose flour
300 g sprouted spelt (or rye or Korashan)
Mix with dough whisk
Add
500 g Einkorn all purpose flour
30 g sea salt
Mix well with hands and talk to God and thank Him for the bread and for the people who will be eating it
(Since I am usually building my dough in the afternoon or evening, I leave it on my counter, covered with a dish rag until bed time)
Cover with plastic wrap and leave on counter for 12 hours or more. It usually doubles in size by the morning and smells wonderfully yeasty!

Shaping my dough:
I place lots of Einkorn all purpose flour on my butcher block counter
Scoop out the dough onto the floured surface
Separate the dough in half with bench knife
Using the bench knife fold into a ball
Stretch and fold to make a taut ball
In a brotform bowl or other bowl, place a cloth napkin in it and dust it with a mixture of 1/2 white rice flour and 1/2 Einkorn all purpose flour
Add the dough ball, seam side up
Repeat with other 1/2 of dough
Cover both bowls with cloth napkins
Let sit for an hour, then place in refrigerator until it's time to bake
(I am usually shaping my dough in the morning. So I can be baking my bread in the late morning. But, usually my two bowls sit in my refrigerator until late afternoon so we can have hot bread with dinner!)

Baking my bread:
Set Dutch Oven (with cover) in oven and preheat at 500º
Once oven reaches 500º take one of the shaped doughs out of fridge and dust with rice/Einkorn mixture
With mitts that can withstand 500º (super important as the pot and lid are extremely hot) remove lid
Turn dough upside down into pot and dust top
Using a sharp razor blade, score the dough
Place lid back on and put in oven
Bake at 500º for 20 minutes
Decrease oven to 465º, remove lid and bake for another 10 minutes
When baking is done, carefully remove bread from pot and place on rack to cool

Let cool for a few hours on wire rack (I've been known to wait a few minutes). Slice or tear off chunks and enjoy with LOTS of raw butter!

Sample time frame:
If my starter has been in the refrigerator and I want to bake bread for Friday dinner...
Monday evening: take starter out of fridge and follow directions for waking up starter
Tuesday and Wednesday evenings: feed starter 50g all-purpose flour and 50g filtered water
Thursday morning: make levain
Thursday afternoon (about 8 to 10 hour later): build dough
Thursday evening before bed: place plastic wrap over bowl of dough
Friday morning (12 or more hours after building dough): shape dough
1 hour later: place the two proofing bowls in fridge
2 to 6 hours later: bake bread!



No comments:

Post a Comment